KURT HEIDELBERG and DAVE BYERS will respond to a rigorous Q & A that should enlighten us on their lives. This should be fun as inquiring minds want to know!
JEFF BOTT, Community Engagement Manager for the Transportation Corridor Agencies. JEFF shared several items including that they are working on regional transportation infrastructure projects with over $1B, some of which will be coming to our area. The Toll roads are mortgage highways, financed by bonds – paid back by tolls. Owned and maintained by Caltrans as part of the state highway system but managed by TCA. Bonds should be paid off around 2053.
- It takes about 20 years to do a highway project. One took 40 years to study!
- There are 5,000 average weekly sign ups for FasTrak.
- They now build projects with cash, to not take on new debt.
- Taking care of the environment is a priority as they build the toll roads. 2,000 acres set aside for wildlife, built wildlife under crossings, fencing, creation of wetlands. 50 different wildlife crossings. They now have a cattle grazing program as a weed abatement (vs pesticides).
- 241 became one of the most controversial projects in the nation and took 40 years to complete. It concluded March 2020, voting unanimously to never complete the 241 (by the TCA board).
- Trying to work on a solution to the 91/241 back-up/traffic issues.
- Future projects: Looking at installing fibers in the road to charge electric cars as you drive. Or a light rail/ monorail installed in the larger medians. “Who knows what we’ll do next?!”
TOMAS MORALES, President of California State University, San Bernardino. TOMAS will give us an update on what is happening at CSUSB. Rumor has it there was a flood a couple of weeks ago?
TOMAS was selected as the president of California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) in May 2012. He is the university’s fourth president since it opened in 1965. His commitment to student success has led to various innovative summer bridge and other student and academic support services. He successfully completed CSUSB’s first fundraising campaign, raising $54M while doubling the university endowment. His dedication to diversity prompted the development of the institution’s unique Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Board.
• We would love to see everyone in person at Rotary Club of Redlands, but if that is not possible a zoom link is available.
This zoom link is reoccurring. Please keep it for your records if you are joining by zoom.
If you have any questions or problems trying to connect, text or call ROB CLIZBE at 951-532-9775.
• October 24th is World Polio Day!
A fabulous time was had by all at the President’s dinner. President JENNIFER DANIEL and her husband CHRIS opened their lovely home patio with a view, it was a beautiful evening outside visiting with our fellow Rotarians. Our own CHRIS ALVAREZ imparted his knowledge on pairing the wines with the amazing dinner, now this is the right way to fundraise! Thank you everyone that participated.
A huge THANK YOU to all of you who participated in the Dinner with the President fundraiser. What a huge success for our club. We raised half of our annual goal for End Polio Now!
Be ready to shop for some fabulous wines this week at our Wine Auction. I can’t wait to help boost our foundation’s coffers and continue to plan exciting events this year. We are better together! Let’s have fun this week.
Editor – Jan Hudson – Edition No. 13, September 29, 2022